Friday, July 30, 2010

A Pinch of SALT

Alright! I know you'll hate me for this but I just can't help it or I'll go insane if I keep this to myself!

WARNING! The following is supposed to be a short short review but as I read (and re-read) my entry, I realized that it has become some sort of a spoiler. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK! ^_^

If you have not watched the movie yet, and you're about to continue reading this blog, and you suddenly changed your mind, stop reading after this sentence, click here, enjoy and go to the nearest cinema later and watch SALT! (I hope I'm getting paid for this promotion!).

And then, if you're still reading this (you've already watched it or out of curiosity, or whatever) then, here it goes!

The movie is about Evelyn Salt (Angelina Jolie), a CIA Agent, who was accused by a defector to be a Russian spy. But unlike other movies where the protagonist is being accused of espionage and the movie is all about how he/she is going to prove that he/she isn't a spy, Salt is actually, indeed surprisingly, a Russian spy! The action sequences are hair-raising: Angelina Jolie jumping from truck to truck on the freeway, brutal fight scenes... nothing less from Lara Croft!!! Hehe... and there's Sabertooth, uh, Liev Schreiber, I mean. It's like watching Sabertooth and Lara Croft in one movie. The twists and turns of the story (although might slightly been anticipated) are nevertheless surprising (with all the ooohs and the aaahs!). Add to that the shaky cams during fight scenes (love love love 'em all!). The movie is great. It pulls off a very good trick presenting its characters as villains who become heroes and heroes who become villains.

The story is open-ended, though. It's like saying "You just wait and there'll be SALT II". Come to think of it, Salt's like the female version of James Bond or Jason Bourne. Well, who won't care for a sequel, ayt?

4 thumbs up for SALT and director Phillip Noyce!

Click here for a full spoiler of the movie. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment